From the small "tempietto di valle", which contains the decantation cistern, a path runs along the aqueduct to Monte Pisano crossing the countryside south of Lucca, crossing the Ozzeri and Rogio canals and crossing the Verciano wood, a natural wood of alders, willows and elms, one of the few remaining spontaneous woods in the plain of Lucca.
Behind the railway station of Lucca begins, or rather ends, the Nottolini aqueduct, which runs underground from here to the city centre to provide excellent drinking water to the fountains in the historic centre. It was the same architect who did not want to "attack the imposing building of the Renaissance Walls, stopping the arches of the aqueduct just before.
413 arches, a monument in the countryside, follow one another for about three kilometres until reaching the slopes of Monte Pisano. Here, another small temple/cistern marks the point where the aqueduct once again runs underground and enters the woods until it reaches the area of the springs. On a small bridge near the springs an inscription commemorates the date of completion of the works, 1836, and the promoter, Carlo Ludovico di Borbone. Everyone in Lucca knows this place as "the golden words". The water from these springs, one of the best oligomineral waters of the area, preferred by many people of Lucca to that of many bottles.
If instead you have walked the path from the springs to the historic center of Lucca, a short tour of the fountains is essential to conclude the itinerary. In Piazza Antelminelli the low basin surrounded by pillars, in Piazza del Salvatore the beautiful fountain of the Naiade and, along the via dei fossi, the two fountains designed by Lorenzo Nottolini himself.