ADDRESS: Via San Paolino, Lucca
TEL: 0583 53576
The Church of Saints Paolino and Donato is the only example in the city of a church built completely in Renaissance style. It is located on a street with the same name, one of the most popular places of the old town, and is known as the Church of San Paolino. Initially dedicated to San Giorgio, after the discovery of the bones of St. Paolino in 1261 and the destruction of the nearby church of San Donato, the building was rebuilt in 1513 in line with the opulence of the time, and entitled to the Saints Paolino and Donato.
The facade is very simple and with linear details, and at the sides of the main door there are the statues of the two saints. The distinctive features of the interior are the finishing stone and the vaulted ceiling, but also the fact that the church has retained its original paintings and sculptures.
San Paolino is also the patron of the city of Lucca. His miracle is commemorated on the 12 July of each year. It took place in 1664, saving the crowd by gunshots fired during a celebration in his honour.